Friday, April 28, 2023

Age of AI

    Recently, Artificial Intelligence is becoming a significant issue and I am afraid of how it will take over in the future. Artificial Intelligence has been used to recreate the faces and voices of individuals, especially those in the spotlight. You can learn more about this current issue here. Not only is this going to cause problems for music, film, and many other industries, but it is a safety concern. While social media apps and other websites have been taking private data from their users for years, adding the issue of Artificial Intelligence into the mix is very alarming. 



    Personally, I do not believe that Artificial Intelligence is beneficial to society. For example, Snapchat has released "My AI" where every Snapchat user has their own AI chatbot to communicate with. However, this is concerning because the AI will know personal details about you that you have never shared before. This can be anything such as your home address, what items you have in your room, or even your relationships with other people. If you have never given Snapchat or your phone access to this information, how was it able to know this information accurately? Therefore with all of this dangerous information I have been aware of, I stay away from AI because I do not want even more of my personal information to be exposed for the internet to gain access to. If my name is searched up on Google, along with everyone else, you would be able to find out my address, where I go to school, my social media platforms, my phone number, and tons of other information. It makes me uncomfortable to know that in one quick search of my full name you can find out so much about who I am, and Artificial Intelligence will only make more information about me accessible for the world to see. 



    According to News Nation Now, they have mentioned how "AI can appear deceptively human, and experts have warned there's a danger that artificial intelligence tools can be used to manipulate people. The ways AI can manipulate are similar to ways people manipulate others, using emotional cues and responses to shape arguments," (Whiteside). Not only can Artificial Intelligence be used to gain more of your personal information, but it is even used to manipulate humans and in a very strategic way by adding emotion into the arguments. Even though AI cannot feel emotion but can display it, this can cause major concern as AI advances and can even take over the world. 

    While Artifical Intelligence can be very harmful, there are some benefits to it. For example, Chat GPT is a platform that can help students with homework problems if they are struggling in a class. It helps to gain clarity on areas where students are struggling. Artificial Intelligence also helps to remove any system errors and provide the most accurate information possible. Artificial Intelligence can be put in charge of any tedious and repetitive tasks that humans would do throughout their career. But, through all of this, I feel like Artificial Intelligence does more harm in the world than it does good. This is because not only does AI become a tool used to gain access to so much information, but it also takes away jobs from those who need the income. If AI continues to grow and gains the access to perform new tasks, more and more individuals will lose their jobs and no longer have a stable income. 



    From the Frontline video we watched during class, I was surprised to see how many things in society are controlled by Artificial Intelligence. The video really opened my eyes and I believe I learned a lot about Artifical Intelligence. While I have heard about Artificial Intelligence previously, it was never something that was on my mind. But learning about the impact it has on society made me realize how much of a danger it truly can be. Within an instant Artificial Intelligence can create a clone of you. Everything from what you look like, to how you speak and the way your voice sounds, to even the smaller details such as how you dress and what interests you have. This also makes it incredibly easy to steal someone's identity and opens up more access to scamming. Even Elon Musk, the wealthiest man in the world and someone who has played a role in the growth of Artificial Intelligence is afraid of its progression. He believes that it needs to be regulated and has the fear that one day it could take over. Artificial Intelligence is a danger that I believe everyone needs to look out for. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: My Relationship With Technology

    Personally, I do not feel like my relationship with technology is healthy, but I do feel like it is improving. I will spend hours each d...